Tuesday 20 April 2010

Starting with Twitter

Until about a week before I launched The Sewing Directory I had never had any real dealings with Twitter.  I had occasionally looked up a celebrity to see what they were tweeting about but Facebook had always been my social network of choice.

I had been told that Twitter is more effective than Facebook for getting people interested in what you are doing, and meeting like minded people so I decided to give it a go - and I have to say they were right!  In just under a month I have now tweeted 230 times and have almost 250 followers!  Plus i've picked up a load of useful information.  It's a great way to let people know about our competitions and any new articles we have added to the site, as well as to retweet what our customers are up to and help spread the word. 

I have to admit though that even to someone who spends a fair amount of time on computers (Ok a ridiculous amount of time!) it was still rather baffling to know where to start.  What you you tweet about? How do you find people to follow? Are there etiquette rules to follow? What do #, RT, #FF etc mean?  I've had to pick it all up through trial and error, and asking other people.  Then this morning I discovered this great blog post that tells you everything you need to know about starting off with Twitter.  So I thought I would save you all a lot of time and hassle and share it with you all:

http://craftbloguk.blogspot.com/2010/04/twitter-basics.html

So now you have no excuse not to get tweeting!  And whilst you're at it please don't forget to follow us - @sewingdirectory

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Thanks for the link - glad you enjoyed the post!

Blogging tips