Monday 17 December 2012

2012 - a year in reflection. Part 1

I always think it's good at the end of a year to look back and see what you have achieved before setting your goals for the next year. 

I had a few goals last year, personal and business related.  Some of which I achieved and others I didn't.  This post is going to be about my personal goals, part 2 will be about my business goals.   first up my sewing goals, back in January I took part with Very Berry Handmade's Resolve to Sew Challenge and listed my sewing goals in this post. 

My main goal was to make more time for sewing rather than just working all the time. In particular I wanted to learn to quilt and to embroider.  Thankfully I have had a lot more sewing time this year, I've been making a lot of handmade gifts - make up bags, cushions, purses and bags.  I made myself and my son some pyjama trousers and I even convinced my hubbie to buy me a new machine for my birthday :-)  I've also been doing a great job of building my stash (hard job but someone has to do it!).

Some of the things I've made this year



I got the chance to learn to embroidery with an embroidery class with Moda designer Aneela Hoey at The Fat Quarterly retreat in June. I blogged about it here. I haven't managed it as often as I hoped since but have worked on a few little embroideries as gifts.



I really do want to make more time for embroidering next year.  I planned to do it whilst watching TV in the evenings but somehow always find myself working until almost midnight so never get the time to embroider. 

Quilting wise I made the top for my quilt, but have to admit I haven't gotten around to sandwiching it and quilting it.  I have the fabric and wadding cut out ready but haven't cleared the space in my son's playroom to lay it all out and baste it.  Maybe I'll get chance over the Christmas holidays.

I do really like it and it would be useful to have it for the winter so I must get a move on! 

Overall though I am pretty happy with how my sewing goals went.  I do have plans for more quilts once this one is finished, and several ideas for embroidery designs so just need the time now.

2013
So what about 2013?  As well as doing more quilting and embroidery I'd like to also learn applique, and learn to sew with knits.  I have some lovely knit fabrics ready and some patterns to hand so I need to get sorted on that.  There's a nice colour block top pattern in the January issue of Sewing World from Julia from Sew Me Something so I've bookedmarked it to make next year.

My friend Ann Haughton (who used to run Suffolk Sewing School) came and taught me applique a few weeks ago so I need to practice that more.  I have plans to applique some t-shirts for my son, I've got them ready by my sewing table so they are on my to sew list!  I also bought lots of lovely flannel fabric from Quilt Me Happy to make more pyjamas for me and my family so they are on my to sew list too.
I would love to get one afternoon a week every single week to sew.  At the moment I manage one or 2 afternoons a month (if I'm lucky). 

Cushion made with 60 year old vintage fabrics for my mum's 60th birthday
Another personal goal I had for 2012 was to read more.  I absolutely love reading and pre-The Sewing Directory used to read several books a week.  The first couple years of the business I was so busy working I only managed a couple books a year!  I'm pleased to say that goal is going fairly well.  I tend to manage around 3 books a month now, generally all in a week and then don't read for a few weeks but it's all good.  For 2013 I want to be reading a book a week on average, I've been buying up second hand books for years so have plenty of choice! 

A lifelong goal of mine is to write a book.  I've been working towards that this year by writing lots of magazine articles, mainly for Sewing World magazine but I've had a few in other magazines too.  In the December issue of Sewing World I wrote 3 seperate articles!  I've now formulated a book idea and am ready to start on the book writing at last.  I will keep you updated :-)

Added 2nd Jan - I decided to add in one more personal resolution in this year, and that is to do all the things I keep putting off. All the jobs I don't really want to do so make excuses not to do like redecorating, DIY jobs, a deep clean throughout the house, sorting through things and throwing out stuff no longer used etc.  I started off pretty well sorting my son's room and getting rid of some of his stuff, I also redecorated his room and replaced his door handles.  Plus I cleaned all the filters in the tumble dryer, washing machine & hoover - something that is supposed to be done regularily and I barely do it annually!


What are your sewing goals for 2013?  If you've blogged about them do add a link in the comments so I can take a look.  Or feel free to put your goals in the comments and I'll re-post the link end of next year so we can see if we achieved our goals.


1 comment:

Bossymamma said...

A very interesting post. It set me thinking about my own sewing achievements in 2012 and what I would like to achieve in 2013. I don't usually pause to reflect - I'm more likely to just jump right in to the next thing,so thank you for sharing which prompted me to do something similar.
You can read about my own achievements and goals at http://bossymamma.blogspot.co.uk/

Blogging tips